GALT HOUSE HOTEL ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
APPLY TO BE THE GALT HOUSE HOTEL ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
HOW IT WORKS
- The residency for the Galt Artist in Residence is May – February, a period of nine (9) months.
- The Artist in Residence will be announced in May. The AIR will be expected to begin studio time in mid-May.
- The selected Galt Artist in Residence will be required to spend a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week in the studio or on the Galt House Hotel Campus, 4 days per week.
- The selected Artist will receive a monthly stipend plus a monthly food and beverage credit.
- The selected artist will have full use of the AIR Studio during their residency. The and may make changes to the studio space – paint (with color approval), addition of furniture pieces, etc.
- The Galt AIR will work with the AJS/Galt team to develop programming for events held at the hotel.
- Download a FILLABLE APPLICATION, download a NON-FILLABLE APPLICATION, or submit an ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Applications for the residence will be accepted from October 1, 2021 – January 15, 2022.
- Applicants must agree to have their likeness and their work to be used for marketing and public relations outreach, including, but not limited to: advertising, social media content, and media relations materials without compensation.
- Applications must be completed in full in order to be accepted.
- Tours of the space may be given upon request. Please contact the Artist in Residence Program at ART@GALTHOTEL.COM.
SUPPORTING ART IN LOUISVILLE
In 2018, The Galt House Hotel embarked on a new and exciting concept for the hotel and the City of Louisville – an Artist in Residence program. Our first residency not only met but exceed our expectations marrying two areas of the city of Louisville – Art and Hospitality – introducing visitors and guests to the artistry that Louisville has to offer. Guests and visitors are encouraged to visit the studio to meet, interact and watch the resident artist create their works. The studio is located in the main corridor of the hotel.
The 2022 residency application process will begin October 2021. Visual artists of all mediums are encouraged to apply for this unique program. It is the hope that while in residence, the artist will find opportunities to use the Galt House as a source of inspiration for the many pieces that they create during their tenure. At the end of the residency, the artist will gift a signature legacy piece of their artwork to the hotel as a piece of their artistic legacy.
In 2018, the first artist in residence Gibbs Rounsavall, a Louisville-based geometric abstract painter was selected from more than 30 applicants. He was featured as one of 13 artists in Louisville Magazine’s “13 Artists You Need to Know Now” issue. In 2018, he was named the first Artist in Residence at Syndicate Design and had work permanently installed in the new Kentucky International Convention Center. His work has been included in academic presentations on subjects from abstract art to urban climate change. He has appeared in print, radio and online interviews and feature articles.
Rounsavall’s public art mural in the Shelby Park area of Louisville was the focus of a short documentary film and has been used as a backdrop in numerous films and still photography, becoming a destination in Louisville and ranking as one of the most “Instagrammable” spots in the city.